Tuesday 4 April 2017

18 DAYS TO GO

Eighteen days to go and I have completed the dreaded 20 mile run. The tapering process can now start. This is basically a reduction in the miles as I approach race day. No training programme will tell you to run the full 26.2 miles in your training schedule and most will suggest getting to around 20 miles with three weeks to go. From here on in the runs will decrease in length.  That said, I still have a 15 mile run next weekend! I'm still running four times a week, comprising three x five mile runs during mid-week.

Saturday started with porridge and then to keep me fueled for the 20 miles I took some bananas, raisins and gummy bears with me. I ditched the gels and it seemed to work.


Porridge, berries and honey for breakfast

The 20 mile run is done and dusted and gives me great confidence. It went much better than the previous week's run and the aches and pains afterwards weren't as bad either. I think my marathon training is unquestionably being supported by Lucozade Sport.

Thirsty work
Next weekend I'm off to the west coast of Ireland with the family and am looking forward to some new scenery. There seems no end to the running at the minute but with less than three weeks to go the finish line will be in sight soon!

Listened to another Martin Yelling (running guru) Q&A last Friday which was great and is comforting to know there are thousands of others in the same boat with aches, pains and worries about April 23rd just like me.

Sponsorship is now at over £1300. Every time I post on Facebook I get more money so that's why I'm doing it so regularly. Hope For Youth NI is a great local charity and in the run-up to the marathon I'll be posting some great examples of what they do. I know it's a bit annoying to see constant requests for sponsorship but so many people have said to keep reminding them as they've promised to donate*. 

* that's my story anyway!